Tuesday 7 November 2017

Wild About Watercolour. Devon watercolour artist Karen Thomas wins coveted industry award

Devon watercolour artist Karen Thomas has won a coveted industry award for her beautiful painting Shades of Gold. Judges of the PaintersOnline 50th anniversary competition awarded Karen the Summer painting prize for her intimate portrait of a handsome Bengal tiger at rest.

Karen, who lives in rural North Devon, is best known for her lively watercolour paintings of hares and the majority of her work, in demand at art fairs and galleries throughout the West Country, focuses on local landscape and wildlife. However, Shades of Gold is part of a body of work taking a step in a wilder direction, inspired by Karen’s developing relationship with Dartmoor Zoo.

Karen says “Friends of mine visited Dartmoor Zoo and, being keen photographers who know I paint animals, forwarded me some very inspiring images. I sent a painting to them as a thank you, which Benjamin (the Zoo’s owner) saw and loved, and he asked that I contact him. Benjamin gave me a tour of the zoo, meeting the animals and teaching me how to engage with them. He described their personalities to me, which is very important to me as I try to reflect that in my painting. Over several visits with sketchbook and camera, I enjoyed spending time there getting to know the animals better and produced a series of paintings. My award winning painting, ’Shades of Gold’ was inspired by that period of time.

“The painting was a culmination of all the exposure to endangered animals at the zoo. I wanted it to be moodier in feel than my usual work and to convey a sense of the connection I felt while getting to know such animals. Eye contact with a Bengal tiger is such an electrifying experience - it’s hard to describe but you’ve never felt more ’seen’. A stillness descends. It’s a bit like falling in love. I felt no threat, only a connection, but I was still grateful for the fence!”

Karen says that winning the award was a total surprise and a sheer delight. Painters-Online are responsible for The Artist magazine and Leisure Painter magazine, two publications who create valuable content for artists and serve as a pulse on the UK world of art. Karen feels that winning the award is confirmation that, as an emerging artist, she is headed in the right direction.

Karen has just taken up a new studio space at the beautiful Kigbeare Studios and Gallery near Okehampton at the edge of Dartmoor. She will be moving in this November just in time for the Kigbeare Christmas Open Studio where visitors will be welcome to chat to Karen about her work and buy direct from the studio. You can see more of Karen’s watercolour work on her website www.karenthomaswatercolour.com where you can also find out information about upcoming exhibitions and where to buy original paintings as well as prints and cards produced from her delightful paintings.

Shades of Gold. Karen Thomas Watercolour winner of the PaintersOnline 50th anniversary competition
Shades of Gold - An intimate portrait of a handsome Bengal tiger at rest
Karen Thomas Watercolour  Animal Paintings and Nature Inspired Art

No comments: